Friday, May 30, 2008

Homemade Pizza

Mmmmm...quick homemade pizza dough. I used to have a recipe for whole wheat dough that doesn't need to rise, but I lost it! Arrrrgh. Luckily, I found another one that's pretty quick and is definitely tasty (thanks to Andrea's Recipes). Thought I'd pass it along because it's a great staple to rely on when you're short on dinner ingredients and time.

Our pizzas are both green and red because (dreaded foodwaste!) our pizza sauce in the fridge was moldy. We had to go with leftover pasta sauce for the kiddoes and a quickly-whipped-up cilantro-parsley-pesto for the adults. Anything with garlic, salt, and olive oil is edible in my book. With gooey cheese and portobellos from the farmer's market (sauteed in olive oil with a little sea salt), we had num nums in no time.

With deference to Andrea's greater wisdom, I actually used all whole wheat flour, subbed honey for sugar, and mixed by hand since I don't have a stand mixer. The crust still turned out great! I am a huge fan of the pizza stone. My brother got me hooked on them. It's critical to heat up the pizza stone before you use it, leaving you with the unwieldy proposition of moving your unstable pies into the oven, but it's worth navigating those dripping, soft-centered waters for the even cooking. Totally heads off the scorched bottom-top still raw syndrome.

I'm still searching for the no rise whole wheat crust, but this is the best I've seen so far (let me know if you've got my elusive recipe!!).


*photo of actual MamaBird food! originally uploaded to SurelyYouNest

1 comment:

Andrea Meyers said...

Yum! Your pizzas look great! I'm glad you like the dough, it is pretty easy and gets dinner on the table fast.