Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Out of Iraq Now

I hope that on Wednesday, March 19, on the fifth anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, I can have a sense of immediacy and concern about the men and women we do not see returning from combat, men and women who risked their lives for a war I believe was based on a lie. There was no tie between Al Qaeda and Iraq. There were no WMD. It's time for our troops to come home, and as I say those words I'd like to also recognize the incalculable sacrifices made by people I know and respect. The premise for the war may be bogus but their sacrifice has been all too real.

These are the heroes I know:

  • I'd like to say thank you to my sister-in-law's family, who sent their Marine son to Iraq for two tours of duty. As my daughter said on the 4th of July after he returned, "Thank you, Uncle G, for making sure we can be free."
  • I'd like to say thank you to my friend and neighbor, an Army Reservist who not only fought a tour of duty but then set up a business that makes it easy for people to support the troops with the everyday dollars we spend.
  • And finally, I want to thank my uncle, a retired Air Force General, for all the unspoken sacrifices he's made for our country and the freedom of the ones I love (including being shot down over enemy territory during another difficult conflict).
It is with these faces in mind -- the living faces I know -- that I say it's time for our troops to come home.

MoveOn is organizing candlelight vigils across the country tomorrow in case you'd like to commemorate the five year anniversary with others who'd like to see our troops come home:
The war in Iraq has gone on for nearly five years. The unbearable costs at home and abroad keep mounting. It's clear that Americans are ready for a real change in direction.

On March 19th, tens of thousands of people across the country will gather to observe the fifth anniversary of the war with candlelight vigils. We'll commemorate the sacrifices too many families have made, and the billions of dollars wasted in Iraq that could have been better invested at home..

Join us at a candlelight vigil on Wednesday, March 19th. Honor the sacrifice. Change our priorities. Bring the troops home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't attend a vigil, but i will let my little light shine at home.

hear hear, my friend.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Amen, sister!