Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chucking Catalogs

About five years ago I compulsively saved every mailing label from every catalog and every solicitation for credit card offers (and every privacy notice from anywhere on earth) and sent back a form letter with our address/data asking to be taken off their mailing list. I'd say a full year of anality resulted in my putting a finger in the dike, or at least giving them some kind of finger. Sad to say, once I had children, there was no time for keeping up my bit part against the onslaught of junk mail. Online ordering? So easy. And thus the catalogs returned....

Happy to say it's super easy to take care of the catalogs now. Go to Catalog Choices -- right now -- and sign up. Then bookmark the site and return in about 3 weeks when you have saved the address labels from a bunch of catalogs. I just removed myself from 28 mailing lists! So satisfying and only 20 minutes.

Now I just have to stop consuming. Because if you identify yourself as a consumer of a company's products, they will, justifiably, market to you. Repeating to self: reduce, reuse, recycle. Local and handmade, baby.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have done the same thing over the years, but have slacked off. Thanks for the reminder -- I signed up and registered the 5 catalogs sitting in my recycling bin today!