Friday, February 8, 2008

Greywatering

So, I had a lightbulb go off a few months ago -- all the dregs of backwash in my 1000 sippy and other type cups? The melted water from monsieur's champagne midnight milkbottle bucket? I use it to water my plants! I actually don't have a plant watering day any more. I just do it haphazardly, as the water arrives on the scene to be reused. Kind of like Mother Nature, I am. I was using my pasta water until I read the comments of this old post about this exact practice (!) over at Green as a Thistle. Won't be doing that anymore (mold alert) but a few moments ago, I did dump the water my black beans and lime juice soaked in overnight onto my lemon tree. I figure it can handle citrus if any plant can. Any other considerations I am not thinking of? Anywhere else easy to capture water? I think I will take the GAAT commenters' advice and also keep a bucket in the bottom of the shower (soap will be ok for the plants). Anyone else been greywatering plants to conserve/stretch water usage?

4 comments:

AmazinAlison said...

We use water from the salad spinner and other organic veggies that get a quick rinse before being eaten.

BTW I love your mamabird theme! Do you mind if I add a link to your blog on mine?

JessTrev said...

Thanks for the idea, the salad rinsing water is a perfect addition... Please link, I will do likewise if you don't mind (I just subscribed to your feed a couple days ago!).

Mrs. G. said...

You are inspiring. I have to say it never occured to me to use my perfectly good second hand water.

JessTrev said...

Aw, Mrs. G -- inspiring, maybe not, but kaizen! continual improvement, I go for. You, on the other hand -- inspiringly supportive of others and weepingly hilarious in your writing. Thanks...